Tuesday, July 8, 2014

We Have a Short New Harry Potter Story and I'm Still Freaking Out!

Today we got a bit of new Harry Potter material, and I'm still so emotional over it that I don't even know where to begin. I've tweeted a lot of my immediate reactions already, but I really wanted to get some of my thoughts down in one place. (If you haven't read it, it's here, but you'll have to login or sign up for Pottermore.)

I woke up to the news. I always scroll through Twitter right when I wake up, and when I first saw people freaking out, it took me a bit before I actually worked out what was going on. I pulled Pottermore up on my phone because I was too impatient to get my computer, and after a few problems with the site freezing my phone, I was able to get to the story. Then I just read it and cried for a bit, and I mean actually cry. It was just so unexpected and nice, and since I'd just woken up, I was a bit overwhelmed.

The story itself isn't all that much really, but it provides us with a glimpse of what the characters are up to today (and it took me far too long to realize this would be present day), which is so amazing to me. I loved the sense of all of them gathering together. It was even fun that it was "written" by Rita Skeeter, and I never thought I'd say that. Of course she turns a negative spin on things, but you can tell what's real and what isn't. The entire thing is just so much fun and so nice to get. I loved it.

Some of my favorite bits were the reference to Hermione having a future in the ministry that involves her continuing to move up. Now I'm picturing her as Minister of Magic, but who knows. I also loved that we now know that Ron worked at the Ministry of Magic for two years before leaving to work at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes because I don't think we actually knew how long he was at the Ministry before this.

The tidbit about Hannah becoming a Healer and applying for the Matron position at Hogwarts was nice too. I love the idea of Neville and Hannah both working at Hogwarts together.

And the image of Luna "sweeping around" the camp in her robes made out of flags is just absolutely perfect, and even though we got so little information on her, that image is so Luna that I'm completely satisfied.

Also, I loved the bit with Teddy and Victoire. This is three years or so before the epilogue, so there was clearly something going on with them for a while. I'm wondering why James was so surprised to find them snogging in the epilogue when Rita Skeeter had already published that there was something going on between them a full three years previously. And why are they so worried to tell their families that they sneak around for at least three years? It raises questions, but I still absolutely loved it all.

The book that Rita plugs at the very end is something I would pay money to read, and so much of me wishes that it was real. This little thing that we got was amazing though, and I am beyond thrilled over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment