Saturday, August 2, 2014

Legend of Korra Review: Book 3 Episode 9: "The Stakeout"

I thought this episode wasn't quite as intense as other ones we've gotten this season, but it was still absolutely fantastic. I loved pretty much everything about it.

I've really liked the couple of bits we've gotten with Naga so far this season, and her being very unhappy with Korra for not giving her a treat was definitely one of those great moments.

Also, who would have thought that Misty Palms Oasis would be a spot we'd return to from the original series? I definitely wasn't expecting that, and it was a nice sort of hint towards the original series.

Bolin's comment about loving when Mako acts like a cop probably voiced a good deal of the fandom's thoughts (except most likely in a different way). I know that I really love when Mako acts like a cop. I don't even know what it is, but cop Mako and awkward Mako are definitely my favorite Makos. (I also love Bolin's attempts at both disguises and a backstory for himself. One of my favorite things about Bolin is how enthusiastic he gets about things. I think that's a trait that the two of us share.)

Lin finding out that Suyin let the Krew go didn't result in quite as big of a blowup as I had feared, and I'm really thankful for that. I really want them to be able to maintain a good relationship with each other. I will not be happy if they go back to hating each other.

What I really love about the Krew in this episode is how well the four of them work together and how each of them are constantly working to help out the group. Bolin and Mako were the ones who went into the town to track down Aiwei, and Korra and Asami could have done absolutely nothing other than stand around waiting to see if he showed up. Instead, they want to be useful, and they end up finding important information, even it they can't find the place on the map. I love that.

As a truth see-er (or whatever it is that they call Aiwei) I would expect him to be able to sense the presence of others as well a lot like Toph did. That's why I find it very interesting that he didn't pick up on the Krew discovering him. You'd think that would be something he'd be watching out for enough that he could have sensed they were there, especially when they had Naga with them.

I also loved that Bolin stumbled across two fans of his, and I loved how they acted. The fan giving him the doll she'd made was amazing. He's always so excited about being a "mover star," and he's always shot down about, like when he saw his wanted poster and thought it was because he was a star. Then he actually finds people who are fans. I love it. I love pretty much anything that helps boost Bolin's self-esteem. I also love how Bolin being a celebrity is the only thing that manages to get them a room at the inn, even though Korra's the Avatar.

The stakeout itself was fantastic just because of the addition of Pai Sho, which actually might have been my favorite scene of the entire episode. My favorite part might be that Asami would rather play a million games of Pai Sho than just give up a few games in order to appease Bolin, yet she's also not at all bothered when he seems to be winning.  Bolin's comment about how Korra needed to standardize the Pai Sho rules and Korra's response was also probably my favorite exchange in this episode.

Korra getting impatient and breaking down Aiwei's door was such a Korra thing to do, and I loved it. I also loved how climactic the ending of this episode was. The incorporation of the spirit world was nice, and I especially loved how easily Korra went into the spirit world after she struggled with it for so long.

We finally have a name for the villains! I've been waiting for it and waiting for it because I knew their group had to have one. I wasn't expecting them to be the Red Lotus, but I do like it. I also love that Unalaq was a part of it, and I love that they fully believe in what they're doing. Villains who think that their vision is the right way and not ones who just don't care about being terrible are the absolute best villains. That's one thing I've loved about Korra so far. Pretty much every villain the show's had has thought that what they were doing was the right thing to do. That makes them much better villains than many others that are just straight up evil in my opinion.

We also got a much better idea of what exactly they're after, which is what I was waiting for as well. I'm really happy that we now have a reason for why they want to take out the White Lotus, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this conflict plays out in the next episodes.

The fight scene in this episode was also amazing just like always, and I loved every second of it. They're always so impressive.

I'm really sad that the Krew is not only captured but captured by different sets of people, but I'm also really excited to see how this plays out. It's looking like we're going to be back in Ba Sing Se, and I'm really excited about that. I'm wondering what it's going to be like having all the villains of this season together in one place. I would wonder if they'd team up, but since Zaheer has expressed disdain for all the nation's governments, I imagine he hates the Earth Queen even more than he hates Korra. That should prove really interesting, and I can't wait to see what happens next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment