Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Movie Review: Life in a Day

National Geographic Entertainment
In theaters: July 24th, 2011 (limited)
On DVD: November 8th, 2011
Rated PG-13
Directed by Kevin Macdonald
Synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes:
The 24th July 2010.... 80,000 Lives.... 4,500 Hours of Footage... 2 Award winning Filmmakers..... Now one incredible motion picture event. What began life as a startling cinematic experiment becomes the must see movie experience of the Summer. Created entirely from footage uploaded by YouTube users, Life in a Day is a film first: exhilarating, moving and very, very funny... it is the story of our world. Told by us. -- (C) National Geographic

Review:

I first heard about this documentary when they were asking people to upload videos of their life on July 24th, 2010.  I'd planned to post something as well, but I didn't actually go through with it, as I figured others would have much more interesting days than me.  And I was more or less right about that.

I really enjoyed this documentary.  There are clips of people from all over the world, and you see so many different cultures.  Some people seem to have good days and some have bad days.  Some of the clips weren't quite as interesting as other, I thought, but overall I really enjoyed it.  A few times I even wanted to cry over certain things.  I few of the clips made me look away.  There were a couple of clips that involved birth (both human and animal), and there was a clip of a cow being slaughtered that really freaked me out even though I turned away from it.  (I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but blood freaks me out so much and it was so loud and everything.  That was probably the worst clip for me.)

I love the whole idea of this documentary.  All of the footage was shot by normal people all across the world, and it's so fascinating to watch this documentary and know that all of this happened to these people on the exact same day.  Some of it's heart-warming and some of it's heart-wrenching.  It was an amazing documentary though.  I'm really glad I watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment