Monday, November 12, 2012

Movie Review: Rango

Paramount Pictures
Released in theaters: March 4th, 2011
Released on DVD: July 15th, 2011
Directed by Gore Verbinski
Written by John Logan
Rated PG
Synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes:
Rango is a sheltered chameleon living as an ordinary family pet, while facing a major identity crisis. After all, how high can you aim when your whole purpose in life is to blend in? When Rango accidentally winds up in the gritty, gun-slinging town of Dirt - a lawless outpost populated by the desert's most wily and whimsical creatures - the less-than-courageous lizard suddenly finds he stands out. Welcomed as the last hope the town has been waiting for, new Sheriff Rango is forced to play his new role to the hilt... -- (C) Paramount
Review:

I have very mixed feelings about this movie.  The only reason I really wanted to see it was because Johnny Depp does the voice of the main character.  None of the trailers I'd seen looked all that interesting to me, but I decided to give it a chance anyway.  I think my feelings on Rango are the same as they are about Happy Feet.  I love both movies in some ways and hate them in others.  It's a bit hard to explain.  I've always loved Happy Feet, but I never really have a desire to watch it because, although I enjoy the movie as a whole, there are quite a few parts that bore me as well.  Rango was basically the same way.

Overall, I enjoyed Rango's story, but there were large parts of the movie where I got bored.  I didn't think it was bad though.  It's just not a movie that I'd probably watch over and over.  Watching it once was enough for me.  I thought the animation was absolutely beautiful though.  That was probably my favorite part of the whole movie.  The animation was fantastic.

Rango isn't your typical animated movie.  Like I said earlier, it kind of reminds me more of Happy Feet than anything else, even though the stories aren't really all that similar.  Something about the two movies just makes me think of the other.  Although I'll probably never actually want to watch Rango again, I did enjoy it overall, and I would recommend checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment