Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Review: Sound by Shelley Workinger

ISBN: 1478377003
Published: November 1st, 2012
Publisher: self-published
Read from January 18th to 23rd, 2013
Synopsis from Goodreads:

Clio Kaid's had one crazy summer.
After learning she was one of a hundred teens who were genetically modified before birth, she and the others departed for "camp" at a classified military site.
Besides discovering her own special ability, uncovering a conspiracy, and capturing a killer, she's also forged new friendships, found love, and managed to lose them both.
With no answers and the end of summer closing in, Clio's terrified of going home more lost than when she arrived.
Will she finally find everything she's been looking for?
Find out in this exciting conclusion to the Solid trilogy.
Review:

I loved this book just as much as the first two in the series.  I had no idea how the author was going to wrap things up, so I really had no idea what to expect when I started the book.  The only thing I knew was that I wanted Clio to repair her relationship with her friends.  Other than that I wasn't sure what most of the book would consist of.

*Slight spoilers*

The ending of the book was definitely left open-ended.  About halfway through the book I couldn't figure out how all of the loose ends were going to be tied up by the end of the book.  I found it really interesting that they weren't because it wasn't like they were left open in a way that shows bad writing because the author failed in some way.  Instead, Jack specifically tells Clio that you don't always get the answers to everything (I'm paraphrasing.  I can't remember what exactly is said.).  I was really intrigued by that.  I thought it was a really neat idea to go that route and not tie everything up.  Instead it could be left up to the reader, so as I was reading the ending I was fully prepared to not get answers to everything.

Then I read the epilogue.  The epilogue was different than just leaving some loose ends.  It seemed to specifically imply that there was more the the story.  It didn't just leave plot points open.  It created more of them, which left me kind of confused.  This is supposed to be the last book, but now I'm left wondering about the epilogue.  Maybe there's more to do with that?  Maybe a different series or book based around the same universe that will expand on the epilogue?  I don't know.  I do know that, if there is a new book or series, I'll read it.

*End of spoilers*

I really enjoyed Sound and the whole series.  I'd never read a series like it before.  The idea of teenagers finding out they were genetically altered before they were even born was a really neat idea.  I loved the characters and the storyline.  I definitely recommend this series.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this book, but it looks good. Maybe I will read it one day.

    I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, more information on: http://sobookalicious.blogspot.be/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete