Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Classes

Here goes my first blog post since starting the spring semester.  I really like all of my classes so far.  I think I'm going to enjoy all of them, which is something I can't say about last semester (nothing against my precalculus class, but it's just math...).

I was a bit worried about philosophy, but so far things are going pretty good in that class.  I was worried it would end up like my theology class last semester (the potential to be interesting but easily made boring by the professor), but I think our philosophy professor will be able to make it interesting enough that I don't want to fall asleep.  It probably won't be my favorite class, but I do think I'll enjoy it.  I find philosophy interesting to a certain degree.  I just don't know how much I'll like studying it.

My intro to American politics class is also really enjoyable so far.  Politics has always been interesting to me. I think it's because it ties in so closely to history a lot of times, and I'm a complete history nerd.  We haven't talked about anything other than the absolute basics (the professor talked about the definition of politics today), but I think it'll be fun.

My English class seems really great.  It's a class that's for English majors only, and the class is basically to introduce you to the major.  There are only eight of us in the class, and the entire class is basically a discussion.  It's great because my English class last semester only had a few English majors.  Discussing English and literature with only English majors is entirely new to me, and I love it.  The only downside to the class is that each time we've ran over and I've been late to life sciences.

My life sciences class reminds me so much of AP biology, which I took junior year of high school.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it.  Biology and astronomy have always been the two types of science that I find most interesting.  We have three one-hour lectures a week and one two-hour lab a week.  We've only just started as far as lectures go, so there hasn't been anything at all difficult as of now.  I had my lab yesterday, and it was okay.  It was kind of an introductory lab, and I'm sure the ones from here on out will be more interesting.  What has me worried is that we're apparently going to be doing blood typing with purchased blood.  Not ideal for someone with a phobia of blood.  We'll see how that goes when it comes time...

I'm so excited for psychology.  I loved the psychology class I took senior year of high school.  (I probably should have added that to my list of favorite sciences in the last paragraph.)  When the professor was going over what we'd study, a lot of it sounded like what we talked about in high school.  I find everything so interesting though that I'm not bothered by that.  Plus, our professor is an actual psychologist, which is different from high school.  It should be a lot of fun.

The only other class I have is my night class.  It's two and a half hours long and only one night a week.  I had it last night.  It seems fun enough.  It's technology in education.  My first education class.  I'm excited to do a lot of the stuff we're going to learn.  It's so late though, and the class is so long.  I'm not looking forward to that.  And walking back to the dorms in the dark in the middle of winter is not fun at all.  I was freezing!

Outside of classes, yesterday was pretty eventful.  Our heater has been broken, so that got fixed the other day.  Now we have a cool dial on our wall that tells us how high up the heater is.  Definitely a step up from the tiny knob inside the cobwebbed covered heater that we used to have to turn.  My roommate also lost her key, so our door locks had to be changed.  It took no time at all, but we had trouble getting our new keys since no one was down in the office.  Our RA brought them to us last night though, so that was taken care of.  Hopefully we won't have to be calling maintenance for anything else anytime soon!

Now I'm off to play Sims.  I've been wanted to play since yesterday and haven't gotten around to it.  (It's been at least a week since I last played.)  I still have homework to do, but I'll have time afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment