Thursday, September 19, 2013

Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

ISBN: 0547424779
Published: October 25th, 2011 (first published April 26th, 1993)
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
(Re)read September 12th to 16th, 2013
Synopsis from Goodreads:
A Newbery Medal–winning classic is reinvented in a gift edition format with illustrations from the acclaimed artist Bagram Ibatoulline. Since winning the Newbery Medal in 1994, Lois Lowry’s The Giver has become one of the most influential novels of our time.This new illustrated edition, a celebration of the book’s standard of excellence and of Lowry’s illustrious writing, makes a perfect gift. The text is complemented by thirteen
new illustrations from the acclaimed artist Bagram Ibatoulline. Also included are a new introduction by the author and her inspiring Newbery Medal acceptance speech. The new content and gift packaging now make it easier than ever to introduce young readers to this riveting modern classic, and provide a fresh edition for its legions of fans. The story centers on twelve-year-old Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal world. Not until he is given his life assignment as the Receiver does he begin to understand the dark secrets behind this fragile community. The Giver is the first in the trilogy of books that includes Gathering Blue and The Messenger.

Review:

I read The Giver for the first time in sixth grade, and it instantly become one of my all-time favorite books. However, it had been forever since I read it, so I was extremely excited that my adolescent literature class was reading it this semester. At first, I wasn't going to write a review since this book has been one of my favorites for such a long time, but then I figured that was all the more reason to review it.

The Giver was the first dystopian book that I ever read, which seems significant considering how much I love dystopian books today.

I really have no idea what the even say about this book because I just love it so much. I think it's an excellent book to use to introduce kids to dystopian as well, as it shows a somewhat scary society but not one that's overly frightening. It will definitely get kids to think about some important stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of this book but never read it. Have you read the whole trilogy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. I didn't even know there were other books until a couple of years ago. From what I understand, the stories are pretty unconnected other than taking place in the same world. I'm really interested in reading them at some point though.

      Delete