Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Heroines

This topic came from Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I'm going through and doing all of the old themes whenever I get a chance here and on my Youtube channel.

1. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. She will always be my number one favorite heroine. Nothing will ever change that. She was one of my biggest role models growing up, and she helped show me that loving books and being smart aren't traits that you should be ashamed of.

2. Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I know Katniss frustrates a lot of readers, but I love her. She goes through so, so much, and yes, she's frustrating at times, but most people would be if they had to deal with what she does. Her life is completely torn apart, yet *SPOILER* she still manages to make it through everything and put her life back together as best as she can.

3. Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Hazel is another character that goes through much more than she should have to, yet she does it admirably. Not only does she herself have cancer, but she falls in love with a boy who has cancer. Through all of that, she manages to stay an amazing person and an amazing character.

4. Eden from the Star-Crossed series by Rachel Higginson. Okay. Eden frustrates me a lot because of her obliviousness to what is going on around her, but I also love her. She's an incredibly strong character, and I really admire how she never puts up with Kiran's crap when everyone else does because he's the crowned prince. (I almost went into a rant about the amazingness of their relationship, but I'll refrain.)

5. Kit from The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. I've gotten the impression from what I've read over the years that Puritan colonial America was not an easy society to grow up in. I always loved Kit because she's much more independent and willing to speak her mind than the other women around her. Plus, she gets accused of being a witch, and she doesn't put up with it or accept what society labels her as at all.

6. Haruhi from the Ouran High School Host Club series by Bisco Hatori. Haruhi is definitely a character who could care less what other people think of her. She doesn't care that everyone at school thinks she's a boy because she doesn't think what someone looks like on the outside is important, and that's really admirable to me. Plus, she puts up with the rest of the Host Club on a regular basis, and I don't think many people could do that.

7. Laura Ingalls from the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I almost didn't add Laura to this list because it's always at the back of my mind that she was a real person and these were based on real stories. Sometimes that makes me feel odd about adding the Little House characters to a list of fictional characters. I feel like Laura definitely deserves a place here though. Being a part of a pioneer family and later writing such a beloved series definitely make her an amazing person. Plus, what kid read these books and didn't want to live like that (at least until you realized what you'd be giving up).

8. Liesel from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I have to admire Liesel for her love of reading, even when it is made difficult by the circumstances around her. Plus, her friendship with Max is heart-warming, even if she has no control over the fact that he's living with them.

9. Stargirl from Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I remember reading Stargirl in middle school, and being blown away by Stargirl as a character. That someone could really be so themselves and eccentric even when they are being ostracized for it was a huge shock to me, and I was so awed by Stargirl that I was honestly somewhat scared of the books. That book really changed how I think, and most of that was due to Stargirl's character.

10. Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. To be completely honest, I was kind of running out of ideas, so I looked through lists others had written and saw Scout several times. While I probably wouldn't have come up with her on my own, I'm happy that I was reminded of her. Like Liesel, she's young and not entirely sure of what is going on around her. Still, her innocence is a great part of the book and her character.

No comments:

Post a Comment