Saturday, October 19, 2013

Legend of Korra Review: Book 2 Episodes 7 and 8: Beginnings Parts 1 and 2

These two episodes were unbelievably packed with new information, and I know without a doubt that I will forget so many things that I want to talk about it. There's no way I could fit everything in. Part of the reason I'm not doing this as a video review is because I'm slightly worried about how long that would end up being. I'd just ramble on forever.

The animation style of these episodes was awesome. I loved the scenery and how it contrasted to the people and spirits. I thought it was an awesome style, and it was a constant reminder that this was in the past without being too in your face about it.

I loved getting so much of the history of the Avatar world and finally learning how the Avatar came about in the first place. We also saw the origins of bending and how people learned to bend the elements. The lion turtle, which had come out of nowhere in The Last Airbender finale, made a new appearance and had such an important part in the story. It was incredible. I loved it all.

It's crazy how two episodes that were all backstory and set in the past have so much effect on the current story. We saw Korra for a minute or two at the most these entire two episodes. The vast majority of the episodes took place in the past, yet there are countless new theories coming from these episodes. We learned so much about the past, and it's leading to all of these incredible questions about the current Korra storyline. I find this all unbelievably exciting.

I've been seeing a lot of exciting stuff on Tumblr the past 12+ hours, and it's all added to things that I was already thinking during the episode. So, here are some of my thoughts/theories/etc. after these episodes:

I want to know if Wan is being reincarnated as each Avatar and Rava has to find him each time he does or if Rava just chooses a new baby in the next nation once the last Avatar dies. It's interesting because Wan had to go an ask for each element from lion turtles, it wasn't genetic and Rava didn't give him the power of bending the elements. That, to me, makes it seem like it's Wan reincarnating and giving each Avatar the ability, but maybe Rava found a way to give new Avatars the ability to bend. Still, when Wan died, Rava told him, "We'll be together for eternity" or something similar. The "we" part is important to me. It makes it sound like Wan is reincarnating and Rava is finding him. This is interesting to me because I always thought of the Avatar has having two spirits: their own, which is different each life, and the Avatar spirit. which we now know as Rava. This would mean that instead each Avatar is just Wan and Rava meeting again when Wan is reincarnated and each Avatar is the same two spirits as opposed to being their own person. That makes me think about things so differently.

Unalaq is definitely up to something with Vatu. I'm not sure entirely what yet, but I am one hundred percent positive that Vatu is involved with Unalaq. Either Vatu is controlling Unalaq or Unalaq agreed to help him. I don't know exactly, but they are connected. I know that for sure. Someone on Tumblr (wish I still had the post) brought up the idea of an anti-Avatar where Vatu and Unalaq merge together like Wan and Korra. That is such a scary idea, and I can totally see it happening. (Someone else also mentioned Vatu trying to merge with Korra to take Rava's place.) It opens so many possibilities. I'm really excited to see where they take this.

The episodes used 10,000 year cycles as the amount of years it takes before Rava and Vatu have to show down again. Now we know that it's been 10,000 years since their last showdown and 10,000 years since the first Avatar was created. So, not only are they going to show down in the show, but someone on Tumblr pointed out that this is the first showdown since the Avatar was created, and they pointed out the possibility that Korra is the last Avatar. I'm kind of hoping that's not the case. I feel like the only way the Avatar could feasibly stop existing would be if they found a better way to keep balance over the course of the 10,000 years, and I'm not sure if that will happen. Still, I definitely think it's a valid possibility, and I'm excited to see if anything like that does happen.

There's just so much and so many theories going around. Since we don't get an episode next week, I may even go ahead and do either another blog post or even a video about these episodes again after a week or so to just talk about what I'm thinking after I've thought about it awhile. We'll see if it happens, but it is a legitimate possibility at the moment.

Oh, and is Korra still going to the Fire Nation or is she going to go straight back to Republic City. I mean, she did make it to the Fire Nation of course, but if she leaves before the royal family makes even a quick appearance, I'm going to be a tad bit disappointed. I just want to see Zuko's family so badly! Even with all of the excitement of these episodes, when Korra came to at the end, I was just sitting there like, "Can we see the Fire Nation royal family now?" I want it so badly...

No comments:

Post a Comment