Saturday, October 18, 2014

Legend of Korra Review: Book 4 Episode 3: "The Coronation"

I just have to say how weird it is that this week's episode is called "The Coronation" when this week's episode of Reign was called "Coronation." That's such a weird coincidence, and I can't get over it. Anyway, on with the episode...

I think I'm starting to adjust to the time jump. It's still a little weird knowing all of the characters are three years older and so much has changed, but overall, I'd say I've gotten used to it by now.

Prince Wu is actually growing on me too, and I wasn't expecting that. I think his little moment with Mako where he becomes more serious and acknowledges that he doesn't really have the experience to be king really helped me warm up to him. I hope he stays a humorous character, but I also hope that a bit of that reality check carries over for him in the future. At the very least, he's better than his aunt. I just hope he continues to become more likeable.

Tenzin and Raiko are so rightfully worried about Kuvira not giving up power that I'm kind of wondering how she got it in the first place. Who gave her the authority to go about uniting the Earth Kingdom or whatever it is that she's been trying? I'm not sure we're ever told. If I were them I would have been worried about that a lot sooner too.

Speaking of Kuvira, I'm pretty sure all she wants is power and nothing more. No matter what she tells Bolin and the others, I don't think she is trying to accomplish anything good. That's just how she's getting people behind her. While I have a soft spot for villains that are more gray and not just power hungry, Korra has done that multiple times in the past, so I'm not against a villain that's merely out for power. In fact, it might be an interesting change.

However, I think Batar really thinks Kuvira's doing some sort of good, so I don't see their engagement lasting through the season. I think he'll realize she's terrible and start working against her. Probably with Bolin.

I love Bolin and Mako being reunited. That was such a sweet scene.

Now to talk about Toph! She was amazing in this episode. So amazing. I loved her "I'm the original Beifong" line and her line about her daughter's never quite grasping metal bending. I'm also fascinated by the idea that she can see all over the world in the swamp. How closely has she been watching everyone, especially her daughters? I wonder if that will give her some insight into something later on.

We also got a great fight scene with Toph and Korra, and Toph makes a remark about how, if she can beat Korra like that now as an "old lady," then just imagine her in her "prime." That was another one of my favorite lines. It was such a Toph thing to say. Everything Toph said was a Toph thing to say. I'm still just so happy that she's there. It makes me happy every time I think about it. I want her to continue sticking around for the rest of the season.

We get a glimpse of Zuko and his daughter during the coronation, and of course I'm always excited to see Zuko. I was really hoping to hear his daughter speak though, and all the two of them do is sit there. I really hope we get to see Zuko, at the very least, again before the season's over. I'm still hoping for a scene with Katara, Zuko, and Toph all together and interacting, but I'm not betting on it. I'd still love to actually meet Zuko's daughter too and know something more about her.

The final scene of the episode where Tenzin tells Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo that he's sending them to find Korra was pure perfection. I love that he's sending them. I love that we get the airbender kids together (minus Rohan) and get to hopefully see more of them. Plus, Meelo's line was awesome. And they all look so awesome in their new airbender outfits. I'm just beyond excited to see what comes out of that in the next episode. I'm so looking forward to the three of them going to find Korra. They haven't been in the first three episodes that much. It should be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment