Sunday, October 5, 2014

Supernatural Review: Season 3 Second Half

I can't believe it's been a month since my last Supernatural review. I actually finished watching season three a couple of weeks ago, but that was also around the time things started getting crazy thanks to midterms, which means it took a bit for me to get around to this review.

Anyway, I think this is going to be one of the reviews where I basically just go episode by episode starting with episode nine of the season. That episode is about a coven of witches, and I have to say that I enjoyed the episode. That was something that I don't think had really been in the earlier episodes, and the idea of one of them being a demon playing with the others was an interesting one.

The next episode involved getting stuck in dreams, and that episode had me really freaked out. In fact, I'd forgotten about it, and now I kind of wish I hadn't remembered. I'm really glad I'm writing this during the day at any rate because the idea of getting stuck in your dreams is a terrifying one for me.

The episode after that was about Sam living the same day over and over. I wasn't sure about this episode at first because I tend to hate any stories that involve reliving the same period of time over and over. Usually they feel really repetitive to me, and I get bored. I did feel a bit of the repetitiveness of it, but nothing was ever that boring. Things changed enough that I would say I liked the episode even if it wasn't my favorite. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be the trickster again, so that was a nice plot twist.

The episode where Henriksen shows up again and Sam and Dean get arrested might have been one of my favorites. I really enjoyed seeing Henriksen realize the truth and start working with them. The ending was also really sad, and we got the first glimpse of Lilith.

After that we get a kind of faux documentary with the same ghost hunter guys we've seen before. This one was really light compared to the episode before it, and I thought it was hilarious. The previous episode was one of my favorites from a dramatic perspective, but this was definitely one of my favorites as far as comedy goes. I thought it was great.

Also really liked the episode with all of the people around town getting phone calls from dead people, although that was another episode that had me really freaked out. The scene with the girl on her computer and her "mom" starts IMing her and then appears in the webcam really got to me, especially since I watch Supernatural on my computer. These types of things make me thankful I keep my webcam covered when I'm not using it (although I swear that's for more realistic reasons like people hacking the webcam, which really happens, as opposed to ghosts).

Then we have the doctor who found immortality by practicing alchemy. I thought it was interesting to bring alchemy up. Mostly because alchemy will always remind me of Harry Potter. Mostly though, I enjoyed this episode for the storyline with Bela. We found out just a little bit about her past and then she dies. I'm actually really sad about that. I really enjoyed her character. I will say though. The idea of the doctor guy just being locked up underground bothers me because too much of me is paranoid he'd break out again.

The last episode includes New Harmony, Indiana, and Evansville is even shown on the map when they're looking at it. It's so nice to watch demons terrorizing a town that I once went to on a school field trip. It's even weirder to me when I think about how New Harmony was originally established as an attempt at a utopia, but anyway, that doesn't have much to do with this episode at all. This episode was really intense because of the nearness to Dean's death, and I was intrigued by the idea of him beginning to see demon's real faces.

Overall, I really liked these episodes. I'm only one episode into season four so far, but I really hope I like it just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment