Thursday, May 28, 2015

My Happy Place

For me, the phrase "happy place" has never been about an actual place. I don't have one particular place that I want to be in order to cheer up unless you count my room, but at least half of that has to do with wanting to be alone. (I realize being alone may sound strange to some when they think about happy places, but I've always been the epitome of an introvert.)

What's far more important to me when it comes to a happy place is that I have a book or my computer with me. Mostly for the same reasons, believe it or not. I want to read. That's my happy place. Sometimes writing, but while that makes me happy, if I'm in major need of cheering up, anything I try to write will turn out darker. It ends up making me wallow instead of actually making me happy most times. Books make me take on whatever emotion is in them, so as long as I have a happy book, I'm good.

The biggest reason why I say my computer is that reading fanfiction is a big happy place for me. Sometimes I prefer it over books when I'm sad because I know who the characters are already and I have a good idea what to expect. Plus, it's pretty easy to tell the fluff from the angst when it comes to fanfiction, so I know for sure what I'm getting myself into ahead of time. Sometimes that's particularly nice when I'm upset.

Tumblr and Twitter and whatnot can also help cheer me up at times. Especially Tumblr or Twitter on good days, but the mood of those depends on what I'm seeing in my timeline/dashboard. If I start seeing negative stuff, then cheering up isn't going to happen, and it's back to reading for me. For that reason, I tend to start off there but migrate to reading when I seriously need to cheer up.

What about you guys? What is/are your happy place(s)?

No comments:

Post a Comment