Saturday, May 2, 2015

Reign Review: Season 2 Episode 20: "Fugitive"

I liked this episode better than the last couple episodes. For whatever that's worth. That doesn't mean I'm not really annoyed with where they've taken the story. It's just that when I take into consideration that they've done what they've done, this past episode was easier to watch than others have been. I wasn't tempted to rip my hair out, but maybe that's because I've just become used to it by now.

We'll start off with Narcisse. I think I say every single review that I don't know what to think about him and Lola or him and Catherine. This episode seemed to strongly hint that he really does have feelings for Lola. I want him as far from Lola as possible. Him passing around a naked drawing of Lola was most definitely a shout out to the modern day celebrity nude photo leaks that happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they were referencing the big one recently in particular. I think that helped me like the episode because they're dealing with something that happens in modern day in a clever way considering the time period of the show.

However, Lola better have nothing to do with Narcisse ever again. I was against a relationship between them before, but if she gets with him after that, I will be so angry. I don't care how sorry he is. The fact that he did it shows how horrible of a person he is, and I cannot get behind them as a couple at all. Not that I could before.

I also know that Catherine is my favorite character, but I'm angry that she encouraged him to do it. It's interesting that they seem to be delving into her insecurities about relationships or whatever, but that doesn't make up for it. I also don't like whatever is going on between her and Narcisse either. When they're just scheming together and whatnot they can have some awesome scenes, but I just want Narcisse away from any sort of romance ever.

Conde might be attempting to overthrow Francis. I'm not really worried about him actually overthrowing Francis. There's a historical event that this is referencing, although I'm not incredibly well informed about it. All I know is that Reign is definitely taking liberties with it, and while I'm happy this seems to be wrapping up the love triangle story line, I wish they could have done this without the love triangle in the first place. There could have been so many different ways to lead to this that would have made for a better story.

Just please, please let that be other with forever. If Conde dies at the end of the season I would actually be happy. I'm not even kidding. I just want it to end.

The scene with Bash and Mary shows that even the characters are aware of the love triangle thing already having been done. Will they not do it again then? I swear, I tend to stick to things to the very end for loyalty's sake, but if Reign does another love triangle that involves Mary and Francis I very well might be done with it.

Greer and Leith... I should have known that them being the only happy couple left wouldn't last long. Like the drawing thing, this story line does have the modern parallel of women working for themselves because they enjoy it and that whole idea, and I appreciate the fact that Reign is tackling that. For that reason, I'm willing to see where this story line goes without getting angry about this particular story. I think this has a lot of potential, and I can easily see Greer and Leith working things out (wishful thinking? maybe).

I do admire Greer for realizing that she enjoys the independence that having her own income and not relying on others affords her, and I also admire the fact that she wanted to keep that. It's not that she doesn't love Leith but that she's realized that she's strong enough to take care of herself, and I love that. That might have been my favorite part of the episode, which is shocking considering how much I ship Greer and Leith.

Kenna, meanwhile, moved forward with that general guy. Maybe I should start remembering his name since he's clearly sticking around. I still don't like the guy. Something about him just seems off to me. It's kind of the same feeling I get from Narcisse. It's made it basically impossible to get behind the idea of him and Kenna.

In other brighter news though, I really like where the show seems to be taking Claude's character. There was some great character development in this episode. We've already gotten a pretty good idea of what her insecurities are, but they were really laid out there now. I've grown to really like her character, which I assumed might happen, and I'm excited to see how she continues to develop. I really want her to develop some close real relationships, and I loved seeing her give the earrings to Leith.

While Leith being one of the first legitimate friendships she makes would be nice to me, I'm just really hoping they dont' go with a romance. Leith and Greer breaking things off could easily lead to that I think, but that wouldn't be as poignant as a friendship between them in my opinion. I think Claude needs a real friend more than she needs real romance right now, although the second can obviously come in the future. I don't want friendship to be overlooked here though, and I'm worried that it easily could be.

Here's hoping that the finale continues to get better than the rest of the season. I have high hopes that are maybe a bit premature. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment