Saturday, May 9, 2015

Reign Review: Season 2 Episode 21: "The Siege"

Before I get to talking about the episode, I just want to throw it out there that I'm absolutely exhausted as I write this. I've had a long two days, and tomorrow I'll be in the car for more than six hours (after only just driving home from school yesterday). Basically, I can't make any guarantees that my brain is fully functioning right now, so I'm sorry if any part of this review doesn't make sense. I'm in one of those states where I'm not entirely sure if anyone knows what I'm saying.

Oh, lord. This episode. Okay. Where do I even begin? Last episode was much better for me compared to normal, but I'm not so sure about this episode. For the first time ever Reign made me cry. I'm not sure what that means at this point. As I've already established, my brain is not in its fully functioning state right now, so I'm not entirely sure how much of the crying was from Reign and how much of the crying was from exhaustion. Either way, I was crying badly enough that I had to take my glasses off and calm myself down for a bit after watching the episode.

I don't know if I liked it or hated it. I know I hated what happened, but when it comes to the actual story and if I'm happy with where they took things, I just don't know. I don't know how to feel about anything this show is doing anymore. I feel like I'm annoyed with so many of the characters, and after this episode, I can't figure out if I'm supposed to be frustrated with the characters or if I'm supposed to be supporting what they're doing.

Because, guys, so many people screwed up in this episode. Some of them are more at fault than others. Bash, for instance, I feel sorry for. I have no idea what that woman was doing, but I can't blame him for trusting her. I never suspected that there was anything wrong with her, and I've been pretty suspicious of just about every other character on Reign at some point. That's one aspect of this episode that I'm not sure if I liked or disliked them doing it. That was completely out of left field, and it's not like this episode needed more surprises. So much was already happening.

That's another thing. There was just so much that my brain is overloading trying to decide where to go with this.

Let's go to Leith and Claude since they quite possibly that the simplest storyline in this episode. There are slight hints at some romantic possibilities with them, and I said before I was worried about that. It would be so much more meaningful to me if they were just friends. That goes beyond me wanting Leith with Claude. Claude just needs a friend more than anything right now. I'm not excited at any possibility of them being more.

The creepy guy Claude glimpsed in the passage way has me freaked out too. I don't like that sort of stuff, and it has me really scared for the next episode. That might be kind of ridiculous considering everything else going on, but I'm just really dreading the return of the creepy shadows guy.

Conde has really gotten into the whole coup thing. I hate him just as much as ever. I really don't think I have more to say about him. I've always hated him. I still hate him. I hope he dies in the finale. Is that harsh? Probably. At this point there's really no choice but for either Francis or him to die, and I wouldn't be sad to see Conde off the show.

General guy who Kenna liked and whose name I should really remember by now but don't also proved to go the way I assumed he would. True that he was being blackmailed with his son and did help Francis in the end. I admire that more than I thought I would admire anything about him. Still, I fully expected him to betray someone somehow. I'm getting hints from this episode that Kenna and Bash are going to try to patch up their relationship because their attempts at finding new people seem to be failing after this episode.

As for whatever binding ritual that woman was doing, I have no idea what it was she was trying to accomplish, but it looks freaky and I'm not terrified of her. I don't see how that can be wrapped up in one more episode with everything else going on. I'm wondering if that's a storyline that will spill over into next season.

Catherine was the best part of this episode. She was back to being my favorite character again. Yes, making Narcisse eat his own horse was gross, and nothing Catherine did in this episode was justified. It was actually downright crazy and messed up. That's what makes Catherine my favorite character though, and I feel like she'd lost that recently. I liked seeing this. There's something interesting about how she's trying to be strong but showing her insecurities in the process.

There's also the fact that I still can't figure out Narcisse. Does he love Catherine? Does he love Lola? Does he love both? He seemed genuine with Lola in this episode, and I really think he cares for her at this point. (But I still strongly disapprove, and the picture thing was despicable either way. Please don't let them ever be together.) But when it comes to Narcisse and Catherine's relationship, I can't figure out what Narcisse's exact emotions are. I don't know what's faked and what's real.

Can I briefly ask where Francis' younger siblings are? They were in season one, and in this episode, Catherine briefly mentions them being safely abroad. Nice excuse for why they're never around, although I'm fairly positive that there have been references to them being other places in the castle before unless I'm remembering incorrectly. Where exactly did they get shipped off to and why? I can't see Catherine entrusting her youngest children off to other people 24/7 unless there was a coup, but it sounded like they were gone before that. Like I said, it's an excuse, but I'm not sure how well I believe it.

Okay. The last thing is also by far the biggest. Mary tells Conde that she's pregnant with his child. I hadn't given this possibility any thought mostly because I know that historical Mary didn't have a baby with Conde. Of course, Francis didn't really have his son either, but as the show has very well established, Mary having a baby has much bigger consequences despite how unfair that is.

I have no idea where this is going. I can't see her actually having a baby. I don't know if there really is no baby or if something will happen to the baby. I don't want another miscarriage considering that's already been used, but at the same time, there are sure to be plenty of opportunities for trauma that could lead to a miscarriage in the next episode.

Mary's confession is what made me cry. As I said before, I'm not entirely sure what was the biggest fuel behind the tears, but at least part of it was me being angry at Mary for her confession (although I don't think I would have cried if I were less tired). I was obviously in a bit of an emotional state at the time. Thinking on it now, I'd love to see Mary betray Conde. She definitely seemed to be on Francis' side earlier in the episode, and I'm struggling to see her betray him now. I think that was at least part of the reason for my strong reaction. I just can't see her siding with Conde after what happened. I really can't.

I have my fingers crossed that she won't betray Francis. If she does, then I really have no idea where the show is going to go next season.

This episode was definitely crazy, and I'm assuming the finale will be exactly the same if not worse. I don't think I'm going to know how I feel about this episode really until I see the finale. I'm really hoping I like how they decide to finish the season though. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment