Sunday, November 27, 2011

Background Music

I know a lot of writers like to listen to music while they write.  Some even create playlists to go along with their books based off of what music they listened to while writing.  I am not like those writers.  When I listen to music, I can't do anything but listen to music.  It's too distracting to me.  I start listening to the music and lose track of what I'm doing.  Or, I completely tune the music out so that I don't even know it's there, but that's only occasionally.  Most of the time the music does nothing but annoy me because I'm trying to focus on something else, and the music is just distracting me.

Don't get me wrong.  I love music most of the time, just not when I'm trying to do something else.  When I listen to music, I want to focus on the music, and when I'm writing, reading, or anything else, I want to be focused on what I'm doing, not music.

Sometimes kids at school try to convince teachers to turn on the radio because it's proven that music helps stimulate your brain and helps you learn and focus.  I can see how that could be true, and I'm sure it works for a lot of people.  But I can't focus on something else when there's music playing.  To me it's the same thing as having a people talking right next to you while you're trying to focus.  Just like with music, that doesn't bother some people, but it does me.  (I hate trying to do homework at school when everyone around me is talking loudly, and I'm one of those people who can't stand when someone starts talking during a movie I haven't seen before.)

Do you like listening to music while writing, reading, doing homework, or anything else, or does it annoy you like it does me?

No comments:

Post a Comment