Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Female vs. Male Point-of-View

I have yet to write a story with a male main character.  Being female, I just relate more to that point-of-view.  It's familiar to me.  Sure, every girl is different, but there are still a lot of things that usually stay the same from one girl to another.

Someday I may try to write about a male main character, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.  It would definitely be a bit of a challenge I think.  It'd be something new and interesting.  If I do ever write from a male perspective though, I see it as being years from now.

The truth is I really like writing in a female perspective, since I am female.  It's what I know, and it's what I want to write about.  I can't see myself writing in a male point-of-view.  To be completely honest, that doesn't sound as interesting to me although I have no idea why that is.

This is kind of reflected in my reading too.  Almost everything I read is in a female perspective.  It's actually a bit strange that Harry Potter, my absolute favorite series, is just about the only books I read with a male main character.  Other than Harry Potter, John Green books, The Giver, and The Chosen are the only other books I can think of that I really enjoy and have a male main character.  (Although Harry Potter and The Giver are female authors writing male characters).

I may explore writing in a male perspective in the future, but for now, I'm going to stick with my female protagonists.

No comments:

Post a Comment