Monday, December 5, 2011

The (Fake) Stock Market

Mondays: my least favorite day of the week.  They're even less pleasant when they're accompanied by a downpour of rain (and you have to walk through it multiple times during the day).

I finished up my second article for the local paper today during yearbook.  This article is all about my school's Christmas dance that was this weekend.  There really wasn't all that much to say about the dance, so it's a little on the short side.  The paper also asked for some pictures, so I asked Jordan if she could send some of the ones she took.  (I would have asked more people, but I didn't know of anyone else I could ask who took pictures!)

Remember when my pencil got stolen in the bathroom?  Well, the exact same thing happened again today.  I'm never letting my pencils out of my sight at school again.  I'm running out of pencils.

Remember that rain I mentioned earlier in the post?  If it wasn't bad enough having to walk to and from the bus stop today, I also had to walk through it to and from peer tutoring over at the middle school (when I think it was raining the hardest).  The wind was also blowing really strongly one way each time.  By the time I got to peer tutoring, my front was soaked, but my back was almost completely dry, and by the time I got back to school, it was the complete opposite.  It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't freezing and the rain didn't feel like ice water.

We started doing a stock simulation in economics.  We started with $100,000, and we have to invest at least half of it in stocks under five dollars.  I had no idea it was so hard to find stocks for under five dollars!  I think we managed to find three or four.  If anyone knows of any cheap stocks we can invest in, please let me know.  Otherwise we may end up buying a thousand more shares of the few we did find.  Our group has also lost $73.99, but that's a smaller negative number than when I checked earlier.  We still have more than $97,000 left to invest, so I'm not too worried about the negative right now.  In fact, I think I'm going to go try and find some under $5 stocks now.  The cool think about this simulator app is I can "buy" stocks now, and when the market opens it'll automatically buy them.  (I know nothing about the stock market, so maybe the real stock market works like that too.  I don't know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment