Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Cartoon Songs

This is going to be the first post of something new I'm going to be doing.  I'm going to start writing blog posts and making videos about cartoons I watched as a kid.  They may be kind of similar to the Disney posts and videos except with old (mostly Nickelodeon) cartoons.

This first post is going to be about music in old cartoons, and I feel there's no better way to start off than by mentioning theme songs.  It's probably because I'm biased, but I feel like the cartoons I watched as a kid had way better theme songs than the cartoons on now.  Even though there are cartoons I haven't seen in years, I still find the theme songs getting stuck in my head just out of the blue.  However, this never happens with cartoons I see nowadays.  This could be because I watched cartoons a million times as a kid, but I've only seen newer cartoons a few times.  I don't have their theme songs memorized, so I don't find them as catchy.  I honestly can't think of a theme song to a newer cartoon that I even remember at all though.

It's been a long time since I've watched Dora the Explorer or Barney, but both theme songs still get stuck in my head occasionally.  (I don't know if I should have admitted that...)  Granted those aren't great examples since (as far as I'm aware) both of those shows are still airing.  (Are they?  Do they have the same theme songs?)

Some of the cartoons didn't even need to have theme songs with words for them to be catchy.  My almost life-long obsession with Rugrats is no secret.  The Rugrats theme song has no words, but I still know the music.  (I should considering how many times I've heard it.)  There's so many more awesome theme songs I would love to mention, but I don't want this to become a list of awesome theme songs.  (Mostly because I'd end up listing every single cartoon I watched as a kid.)

Then we have songs that were in cartoons but not the theme song.  I hate Spongebob.  I just find the show annoying.  But my brother watches it nonstop, so I've seen every episode at least once and the older ones many, many times.  I hate to admit it, but there are several songs from Spongebob that I consistently find myself singing:  the F.U.N. song, Campfire Song Song, and the song Sandy sings about wanting to go home.  I hate when those get stuck in my head, but I can never get them out when they do.

Although I haven't seen it in forever, I still remember this episode of Rugrats where all of the babies sing songs to Dill.  The songs they're singing are real songs, but they each end up changing the words.  Even though I can remember the episode, I can only actually remember one of the songs.  It's the one Phil and Lil sing about a "tricycle not for you."  I find that getting stuck in my head often, but I can't even remember what the other babies sing.  (I'm going to look that up after this.)

I know there had to be other occasional songs in cartoons I watched, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment.  Are there any songs that were in cartoons you watched as a kid that you still find yourself singing?  What was/is your favorite cartoon theme song?

No comments:

Post a Comment