Friday, August 16, 2013

A to Z Book Blogger Survey

Today I'm doing the A to Z Book Blogger Survey. This survey was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner, and I got the idea to do it from Katie at Katie's Book Blog.

Author you've read the most books from:

Probably Sarah Dessen, although I can't say for sure. I'd read everything that Sarah had written until her last two novels. Now, I'm a bit behind, but I do own one of those and plan to get to it soon. I still think she wins for the most books from one author that I've read, but I'm not even sure how many books she has published.

Best sequel ever:

This is a tough one. I've read a lot of get sequels, but the second in a series is never typically my favorite. However, recently I finished the Desolation series by Ali Cross, and the second in that series, Desolate, was actually my favorite of that trilogy. I gave it five out of five stars.

Currently reading:

I'm reading two books at the moment. The first is an anthology of novellas that I got for review called A Bride for All Seasons. I'm also reading an epic fantasy called City of Blaze by H.O. Charles, and I've absolutely fallen in love with it.

Drink of choice while reading:

I tend to do most of my reading before bed, so I'm typically drinking water. Occasionally I may get juice or lemonade or something though if I feel like it.

E-reader or physical book:

Physical book. Always. I love my e-reader. It's extremely convenient, and both books I'm reading at the moment are on it. I was against getting one for the longest time, but I am unbelievably glad that I finally caved. Still, nothing will ever beat an actual physical book.

Fictional character you probably would have actually dated during high school:

Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love Peeta. He is always my answer for "fictional crush" or anything similar to that. I could go on forever about why he is so wonderful.

Glad you gave this book a chance:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I was a bit put off by it at first because it didn't seem like something I would like at all. I'd heard such amazing things about it though that I had to see what all the fuss was about. I'm so glad I did because it's an amazing book.

Hidden gem book:

I'm just going to take this opportunity to plug the book I'm reading yet again: City of Blaze by H.O. Charles. Like I said, I've fallen in love with it. I only have two chapters left, and I'm so excited to read them but I don't want it to end. I don't know if I've ever been so thankful for a book to be the first in a series. If you enjoy epic fantasy, I recommend checking it out.

Important moment in your reading life:

All questions such as these immediately go back to Harry Potter. I've loved reading for as long as I can remember, but Harry Potter still had a massive impact on how I view books. For that reason, I'm going to say when my grandparents took me to see Sorcerer's Stone at the movie theater. I'd thought Harry Potter seemed boring before then, but after that I made my mom buy all four books that were out immediately. (She wanted me to buy one, but I wanted them all to read one right after the other.)

Just finished:

The Victor Part I by Andrew Meade. My cousin's book, which was fantastic. I still can't get over how impressive it was. Like I said, when I was his age I was writing two or three chapters of fanfics and then abandoning them because of my short attention span.

Kinds of books you won't read:

I really don't have a certain type I won't read. At least not one that I can think of right now. As a kid, I once tried to read the dictionary because I'd ran out of anything else to read in our house, and I read a lot of things that others would think of as odd. If it's made up of words, chances are I'll at least give it a shot.

Longest book you've read:

There's no way to tell really, especially with e-readers now where I can't compare lengths. I'm pretty sure it's Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix though. No other books are coming to mind that compare to it in size.

Major book hangover because of:

There are so many books coming to mind for this, but I'm going to go with The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. If you've read it (which you should have), then I don't think an explanation is necessary.

Number of bookcases you own:

It's really not that many. I have one in my closet, and then I have some shelves on my wall. At school, I just have one incredibly small one. Other than that, my books are just in extremely messy stacks all over my room.

One book you have read multiple times:

I'm starting to think that I should really force myself to answer something other than Harry Potter, but I've probably read it more than anything else so... I'm not sure I've read one more than the others since I tend to re-read the entire series at once.

Preferred place to read:

At home, I tend to read on my bed. At school it's usually at my desk.

Quote that inspires you:

This is a hard one. I love quotes, but I'm horrible at choosing just one quote. The quote I usually use as my favorite quote is actually a history quote, so I don't know if I should use it for this survey. I'm going to scroll through quotes on Goodreads to find one I like...

I think I'm going to go with the quote that I used when I was made student of the month freshmen year of high school, and they made me fill out this sheet thing:

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

(Oh, look. Harry Potter again. I swear I was trying to look at other quotes.)

Reading regret:

How I first experienced The Hobbit. I hated it when I read it the first time in seventh grade. At first I thought it was my age, but I know plenty of people who read it that young and loved it. Now I'm thinking it's because I read it for school. The Hobbit is a great book, but I felt incredibly pressured to fly through it in order to get it done by the deadline, and it's too long of a book for that. I should have read a different book for school (this was a case where it was a book we picked ourselves) and saved The Hobbit for when I could read it at my own pace and actually enjoy it.

Series you started and need to finish (series is complete):

It's a manga, but Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori. I've read the first five (I think) volumes, and I own about five more. I love it to death. I just haven't gotten around to reading all of it yet. I also want to re-watch the anime, since it's been a while and I need to see the live action movie still.

Three of your all time favorite books:

This is a difficult question because my default answer is always Harry Potter, but beyond that I always struggle with narrowing it down. Here are three of my favorites that aren't Harry Potter or other books mentioned so far (but not a definitive top three): The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. The Chosen by Chaim Potok. This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen.

Unapologetic fangirl for:

... Harry Potter, obviously.

Very excited for this release more than all the others:

The Relentless Warrior by Rachel Higginson. It's the sixth Star-Crossed book, and I'm so incredibly in love with that series. I can go on about it for days.

Worst bookish habit:

It's definitely buying books much, much faster than I can read them, so they pile up.

X Marks the Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

This is difficult sense I don't have many actual shelves, and the vast majority of my books are just in stacks. However, I'm going to pick a random spot and just start counting.

Okay, I'll be honest. I'm now staring around my room, and I have no idea where to start counting from...

After a while of trying to choose a spot to start counting, I finally just went with the bookshelf in my closet, which is entirely books from elementary and middle school. I got The Princess School: Let Down Your Hair by Jane B. Mason and Sarah Hines Stephens. I only have extremely vague memories of this book, but I remember enjoying it. After all, it's about a school for princesses, and sometimes I like to be vicariously girly through books. I think it was the only one of this series that I ever read though.

Your latest book purchases:

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. It was for the young adult literature class I'm taking this semester.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last one that kept you up way too late):

The book I'm currently reading: City of Blaze by H.O. Charles has been keeping me up insanely late for the past three nights or so. I guess A Bride for All Seasons is partly to blame as well, since I read them both, but it's City of Blaze that I'm reading the most.

That took up more time than I expected it to, but it was fun! Feel free to let me know if you do or did the survey as well. I'd love to read your answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment