Friday, August 2, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Book Characters

This topic came from Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I'm going through and doing all of the old themes whenever I get a chance here and on my Youtube channel.

1. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  This won't be a surprise to anyone who knows me.  I've loved Hermione since I saw the first movie as a little kid.  I related to her so much, and I think she was the main reason that I was never ashamed to be an obsessive reader as a kid.  A ton of my days as a little kid were spent reading books, and she was the first person/character that I discovered who loved reading as much as I did.  She basically became my role model.

2. Peeta Mellark from the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.  I've said before that if I could marry a fictional character, it would be Peeta.  I pretty much fell in love with him in these books.  I think it's incredible how good of a person he remains even in the situation he's in.  It really sets him apart from a lot of the other characters, as Katniss comments on frequently.  Even after the events in Mockingjay (which I won't mention specifically since it's a spoiler), he still tries really hard to do the right thing and become better.

3. Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  It took me a bit longer to warm up to Ron than Hermione.  I think a lot of that is because I saw the first movie before reading the book, and I kind of pictured him as the comic relief that they make him in the movies.  It wasn't until I was older that I could fully appreciate him.  I think it helped that whenever we played pretend at recess with Harry Potter characters, I was always Ron because no one else wanted to be, and once I because a huge Romione shipper, I began to love him even more.

4. Remus Lupin from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  I should just clarify right now that the majority of these characters will be from Harry Potter.  Remus was always my favorite Marauder.  I think because I could relate to him the most out of all the Marauder Era characters.  James, Sirius, and Lily were too impressive for me to relate to, and I didn't want to relate to Peter Pettigrew or Snape.  Since I read a lot of Marauder Era fanfiction, Remus became one of my favorite characters.

5. Johanna Mason from the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.  This probably seems like a weird choice considering my past picks and how I liked them because I could relate to them.  Johanna and I are nothing alike, but I really love her character.  I love her sense of humor and how tough she acts, but you also see her weaknesses over the course of the series.

6. Leah Clearwater from the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.  Yeah, I wasn't expecting any Twilight characters on this list, but then I chose Johanna and I instantly remembered how similar Leah and Johanna seem to me.  Leah has been my favorite Twilight character for a long time, and the majority of fanfiction I read focuses on her.  Unlike the characters that I admired because I related to them in some way, I admired Leah because I wanted to be as tough as her.  Plus, she's the only female wolf, and that's pretty awesome.

7. Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  I feel like I shouldn't even have to explain this.  How can you read the Harry Potter series and not love Luna?  It's incredible how easy she can be herself and not care what others think, even though what she thinks is so utterly different from everyone else.

8. Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  Like Ron, it actually took a long time for Harry to become one of my favorite Harry Potter characters.  He was the hero of the series, but for some reason he wasn't particularly remarkable in my mind.  Then, in the past few years, I've come to completely appreciate him.  I always loved him because he was Harry Potter, but for some reason that's become stronger in recent years.  I think I just started thinking about everything that he had to go through in a way I hadn't bothered to when I was younger.

9. Seth Clearwater from the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.  I put Leah on this list, so I figured I might as well...  I don't think I've ever heard of someone disliking Seth.  Even my best friend freshmen year of high school used to go on and on about how much she hated all of the wolves (she was ardently Team Edward) except Seth.  Seth was the only one that she thought was tolerable.  I really love his character and how he's the only wolf to accept the Cullens.  He's also almost always upbeat and happy.

10. Augustus Water from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  If you've read The Fault in Our Stars then I think this makes immediate sense.  Augustus is amazing, and I think everyone who read the book kind of falls in love with him.  I don't want to say any more though because it could get spoilery.

This list is basically dominated by Harry Potter and a bit of Hunger Games and Twilight (which I was honestly not expecting).  I guess when you read fanfiction about characters you get even more attached to them though.  When I think of fictional characters, the ones that I read about regularly are the first that come to mind.

1 comment: