Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

First published: 1813
Publisher: Amazon
Read from August 7th to 23rd, 2015
Synopsis from Goodreads:
When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited, while he struggles to remain indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships, gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life.

Review:

This was actually my second time reading Pride and Prejudice, but the last time had been all the way back in eighth grade. I remember liking it, but I wanted to see how it would hold up more than seven years later. As it turns out, I absolutely loved it.

Aside from a few books where I knew right away that they just weren't my favorite, my favorite Austen book kept fluctuating as I read through them. Now having read most of them within a little more than a year (and Sense and Sensibility four years ago), I can pretty confidently say that Pride and Prejudice is my favorite, although a couple of others are very close.

There's just something about this book that I absolutely love. I probably don't have to try too hard to explain it because so many people already get it. It's just such a great story and such a fun book.

No comments:

Post a Comment