Monday, August 31, 2015

Life Post: So This Is Being a College Senior

A lot of what I said in my last post is still true. We've just started the second week of the semester, and things are just as hectic as they were last week. The only difference is that I'm settling into it and getting used to it again. I'm not sure if it's normal to be used to this level of stress or if it's a bad sign that I've adapted to be (after a brief period of panic), but either way, that's basically how it is. I had a pretty good idea going in that being a senior was going to be a lot of work, but knowing it isn't quite the same as actually being in it and having it all piled on top of you.

It makes the fact that I'm going to be a senior for three years all the more ominous, but I don't think each semester will be like this. I have senior seminar this semester, which I've heard is a ton of work and is so far proving that to be true, and I think that's going to be the bulk of my stress. I also have two teaching practicums though, so there's that in addition to my other classes. Next semester though, I'm not so sure it will be quite as bad as all of this. It might even be a sort of break. I have fewer credit hours, and some of my credit hours are finishing up the last few gen ed requirements that I haven't completed. It might be blissful in comparison to this semester. Then, of course, I have student teaching, which I'm sure I'll feel a ton of pressure about, but that's not for another year. I can't start focusing on that yet.

One thing that I've really been reminded of these past several days is that commiserating with your classmates is a huge relief. There have been several things really stressing me out over the past week, and I've had several conversations with classmates about how they're feeling the same way I am already. In the past, I tried to avoid these sorts of conversations because I thought they would only make me more negative, but I've learned by now that they actually have the opposite effect. After hearing that other people are stressed out and a bit worried, it makes me feel much more confident about things, so it calms my stress a bit. I think that's become my go to college tip for anyone starting college because I never would have thought about things this way freshman year.

Despite how hectic things currently are, I posted twice over on my writing blog. I wrote about what makes a character a hero. That particular post was actually written in the middle of the night (edited only a little bit later), so it's a bit of word vomit I think. I also posted about my indecision over joining NaNoWriMo.

No comments:

Post a Comment