Thursday, February 6, 2014

HIMYM Review: Season 9 Episode 17: "Sunrise"

I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed this episode, just like I did last week's. Hopefully this will keep up for the rest of the season. I expect I'll be quite emotional as these are the final episodes, and I'm sure that will lead to me having a generally positive view of them.

The Barney storyline in this episode was the one I was least concerned with honestly. I can see why it was there, and I suppose it helps with Barney's character as a way of showing that he's leaving all that stuff behind. It just didn't seem as important to me as the other storylines that were happening. The line about having your friends around was cute though, and I really enjoyed that.

I'm still not really sure how I feel about the Robin and Ted storyline as a whole. One part of me is happy that Ted has admitted his feelings, since that might help him move on. The other part of me thinks that he waited way too late, and now he's just made things awkward for Robin on the day of her wedding. Personally, I think Ted should have moved on from Robin a long time ago. Not only is it kind of ridiculous to the story that he still has feelings for someone the audience has all known for a long time isn't the mother, but we also know that he's now extremely close to meeting the mother. I don't like the idea of him meeting the mother and the show ending when he's only gotten over Robin so recently. It doesn't feel like a nice ending. That feels like an ending where he could still have feelings for Robin, and even though we know they'll be fine, it doesn't look that good for Ted and the mother's relationship if you just include present-day storyline information. So, while I'm glad that it's all finally being addressed, I'd wished they'd addressed it way earlier (like, seasons ago).

While Lily and Marshall's fight was a sadder storyline, I'm glad it has happened now, and we can move on. It was a bit worrying when Lily had her short speech about what would happen to their marriage if Marshall kept lying. It was true though, so at least we have the hope that Marshall will take what she said to heart, and that won't be a problem. I'm a bit sad for Lily that they won't be going to Italy, but I'm just glad that the fight has been resolved. It would have really sucked if we had Marshall and Lily mad at each other all the way through the end of the show.

We get a two week break now until the final episodes. I can't believe how close we are to the series being over. I'm really looking forward to Robin and Barney's wedding and Ted meeting the mother, but it's all going to be so bittersweet. I'm optimistic that the final episodes will be great though. Hopefully I'm not let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment