Friday, February 7, 2014

Reign Review: Season 1 Episode 11: "Inquisition"

I think this episode definitely wins for intensest Reign episode yet. It also wins as the first one to have me in tears by the end. There was just so much going on that I don't even know where to begin.

I find the de Medici family to be absolutely fascinating, so I thought it was really cool to see Catherine's relatives. No surprise that their pretty similar to her in a lot of ways. The end when they hand her the poison to kill herself because it'll be more dignified as far as they concerned was an excellent scene. Appalling, of course, but still excellently done I think.

I wondered last week what would happen with the baby, if it would be important or just disappear. I'm not entirely sure why I thought it would just go away because it should have been obvious that it would factor into the plot. For some reason, even with the pagan mark on its foot, I never thought about the baby connecting Sebastian to the pagans. I feel so sorry for that baby. She's an orphan, and she's going through a lot for an infant. Not to mention being shuffled around to a million different people.

Henry in this episode. Where do I even begin with Henry in this episode? He was probably the most shocking to me in this episode. I can't understand how obsessive he is about killing Catherine in order to get England. That is the epitome of power hungry. She's his wife, and even if they don't get along at all, he seems far too okay with killing her off. Of course, you can factor that to him learning of her adultery later, but even before he knows about her affair, it's a bit scary about how he goes about it. I also think it's rather hypocritical that he's willing to kill over Catherine's affair when he's been very publicly cheating on Catherine for years. That's definitely a case of thinking he's above everyone because he's king. I've never really liked Henry in past episodes, but I think this cemented him as my least favorite character. You can say all you want about Catherine being horrible, she is, but I honestly think Henry's worse and just better at hiding it a good deal of the time. I think we're starting to see that, and it'll be interesting to see what he does in the upcoming episodes.

So Henry accuses Catherine of cheating with Nostradamus. I feel a bit bad for Nostradamus because, even though I don't really like him, that's quite the sucky family drama to get caught up in. Put to death for an affair you didn't even have.

I really don't think Henry should be surprised that Catherine had a real affair after the state of their marriage though. I'm not really sure if he's more angry over the fact that Catherine cheated or that she cheated with his friend though. That was one of those storylines that I didn't really see, but I'm not surprised about once it happened.

Clarissa being Catherine's daughter was one of the best possible plot twists as far as I'm concerned. I'm so excited to see where that goes. From the moment Nostradamus started talking about Clarissa and Catherine had the reaction she did I knew there was a connection there. I immediately thought that Clarissa was her daughter from the way she freaked out, but since it seemed unlikely that had been hidden, I wondered if she was another relative. But nope. She was Catherine's daughter. But not with Henry. I still can't get over how great of a plot twist that was.

And Clarissa finding out and saving Catherine's life at the end was amazing. I have a feeling she wouldn't have done that before. She's killed for Mary before, so before I think she would have saved Mary and left Catherine to die since she tried to kill Mary. For a minute I thought that was what she was going to do, but when she went to help Catherine, I started crying. That was just amazing as far as I'm concerned. We also got to see Clarissa's face for the first time, and I really like how they chose to do that when Catherine sees it for the first time (since she was a baby) too.

I know I said last time that I wanted Francis to come back as soon as possible, but I'm actually thankful that he wasn't in this episode. There was just too much going on in this episode that there is no way a storyline with him could have been fit in.

I can't even believe how excited I am for next week's episode. I'm so eager to find out what happens with Catherine and Clarissa. (Also, writing this has made me realize how similar their names are. Was that foreshadowing?) Next week can't come fast enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment