Thursday, February 13, 2014

Top Ten Books I'll Never Read

This topic came from Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I'm going through and doing all of the old themes whenever I get a chance here and on my Youtube channel.

I'm the type of person who wants to read the vast majority of well known books because I get curious. I just can't not know what happens in a book when so many other people do. (And, I'll admit, it might be partly because I just want to say that I've read it.) I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to come up with ten books that I'm most definitely never reading, but we'll see.

1. The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy (?) by E.L. James. I think it's a trilogy, but I could totally be wrong. I couldn't even remember the author's name. I had to Google it. What I do remember is all of the stuff I've read about this series that will make sure I never go near it. I've read excerpts of it online, and I honestly thought what I read was laughably bad. There's no way I could make it through those books. There are just so many things that keeping me away from it. (Also, can I just say that when I read the excerpts I did I could not picture the main character as anyone other than Bella Swan. I know the books were originally Twilight fanfiction, but I'm not sure if that was my own mind or the similarities were actually there. At any rate, she definitely came across as Bella to me.)

2. Moby Dick by Herman Melville. This was on my most intimidating list too. There's a part of me that feels like I should read it because I'm an English major, but honestly, it's never going to happen. Maybe an excerpt or something, but I'm never making it through the whole thing. (Watch a class I take in the future assign it...)

3. Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (and the rest of the series that for some reason exist). With all the talk about the new movie lately, I can't believe I didn't think of this one. I had to see it on someone else's list in order to remember it. That's fine with me though, since I'd rather forget of it's existence. No amount of curiosity could make myself read it. I actually know way too much of the story anyway with all of the stories written on it around the movie release. That's more than enough for me.

4. Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. I saw this on several other lists, and I decided I might as well add it to mine, even though I never would have even thought of it otherwise. Honestly, I can only see people reading this if they are into history and are reading it for a sort of historical context (if that's the correct term). I personally doubt I will ever be picking it up. I really have no desire to read any of it at all.

I think I'm going to end the list here. I know it's only four, but I just honestly do not like putting books down on a definitive never read list. Sure there are some I know it's extremely unlikely I'll ever pick up, but I don't like to definitively exclude things, since who knows how I'll feel about them in the future. I'm already questioning whether Moby Dick should be there because maybe I'll decide one day to actually try tackling it. The other three are definite though. They're staying there.

No comments:

Post a Comment