Tuesday, March 4, 2014

HIMYM Review: Season 9 Episode 19: "Vesuvius"

This is a huge review to be writing, and I'm unfortunately writing it after a really stressful day that's still going even thought it's past ten at night. I feel really bad about that, but I really wanted to get this review out. Hopefully, the emotion I'm feeling over this episode doesn't add to my stress anymore as I'm writing this review.

I'm going to start with the more light-hearted parts of the episode first. I have to say that I actually really love the way Robin's handling the wedding. I really like how, even though Lily's frustrated that she won't break down, Robin seems so easy-going about it all. That's how I am during my wedding in my dream world. (In reality, I really don't feel like weddings should be as stressful as they are because them being perfect isn't the point, but I know that I get stressed out too easily to possibly avoid it.) It's nice to see a bride on television that isn't a bridezilla or a crying mess. It's a nice change from how weddings are typically portrayed (and actually happen), and I think it's nice.

Barney on the other hand is acting more like a "typical" bride than a groom, and I find that really cute. Robin's calm while Barney worries about every single aspect of what he's going to wear. It's a nice little flip I think, and I really like it. It's a cool play on the typical gender stereotypes with weddings, and I always find it cute how Barney acts when it comes to Robin.

Robin's sister (played by Lucy Hale) made an appearance this week. I don't have much to say really, but I brought it up for two reasons. One, I've never made this connection before, but wow, they really do look similar to me. Two, where has she been the entire rest of this season? Did she just get there? If so, why wasn't she there earlier? Has she just not been around much? I don't know. Realistically I know they just have Lucy Hale as a guest so she wasn't going to show up regularly, but story-wise I find it odd.

And Robin's mom shows up! That was a wonderful end to the episode, and I'm so happy about it. I really love that they did that, and I'm excited to see Robin's mom more in the next few episodes.

Okay. Now to the more emotional stuff. There's been a fan theory for a while now that the mother is dead at the point in the future when Ted is telling his children the story. This episode seemed to really strongly be hinting that the mother dies (seemingly from some illness that I kind of feel like would be cancer if they do go down that route) in the year 2024. The way the ending of the episode was handled really, really strongly hinted that the mother was dying. From her comment that it's better not to focus on sad things you can't change (or something somewhat similar to that) to Ted bursting into tears at her comment that a mother would never miss her daughter's wedding. There really doesn't seem to be any other explanation. Even if there was, this episode seems deliberately designed to point that way, so it would almost seem like a cruel joke to me if they didn't go with that.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't want the mother to die. So much so that I'm kind of angry about this. It's just that it seems like that's really what they were trying to get across, even if only for a plot twist later where she lives, and if they did that, I'd be kind of angry. So, I don't know what's going to happen. It does seem like they're hinting at her death, and I'm kind of mad about that. But I might be even madder at this point if it turns out they were just purposefully trying to make it seem like she was dying. We only have a few episodes left though, so we'll find out soon enough. The thought of that only makes me even sadder.

No comments:

Post a Comment