Saturday, March 29, 2014

Reign Review: Season 1 Episode 16: "Monsters"

What even was this episode? It's been two days now, and I'm still processing it all. Things on Reign have always been crazy, but it's like this episode hit a whole new level and I'm not sure I'll ever know how I feel about it. The ending especially left me wondering just what they're doing.

Henry's craziness continued in this episode, and I continue to be confused about what they're doing with that. I'm wondering if he will end up dying from whatever is wrong, which would lead to Francis and Mary ruling. However, that also means getting rid of one of the main characters, so I'm not sure if it'll happen or not. Even if Francis and Mary rule France over the course of the show, I don't really see it happening that soon. Of course, there's also the option that Henry dies slowly which would give the show more time. We still don't actually know what's wrong though, and that's what my biggest question is. (Brain cancer seems the most likely answer all things considered, but who knows what they'll do.)

The best part of Henry going crazy to me is actually Catherine. I've said a million times that she's my favorite character in the show, and I'm loving seeing this side of her. She's typically cruel towards people, but in this episode we actually got to see her scolding Henry for being more horrible to people than he should be. I like what that shows of Catherine. You could make the argument that she's doing it for appearances sake, but I honestly don't think she cares about harming people unless there's a reason for it. It doesn't necessarily excuse things she does, but I don't think she ever does any of it out of pure hatefulness. She has a point behind it.

Perhaps I should have enjoyed Penelope since she seems to be somewhat like Catherine, but I actually strongly disliked her. That might have been because she was so antagonistic towards Catherine, but I think a lot of it comes out of how stupid I feel like she is. She's definitely cunning, but I think she's arrogant thinking she's in control of the situation. She thinks that she has control of Henry, and I know that's going to come back and hurt her. If she were just trying to work her way up in the ranks, I wouldn't have much of a problem with her, but her stupidity that comes from her arrogance makes me incapable of liking her even the slightest bit.

Mary and her friends seem to switch off guys at a rate that is far beyond healthy. I do feel bad for Greer, and I understand that she didn't care much for Lord Julian other than for appearances purposes. Plus, Lola really needs to find someone. Still, it's kind of weird that Lola is getting one of her friends suitors yet again, even if it's in a different way. It makes me feel bad for her.

Greer now has plans to marry Lord Castleroy, which creeps me out. He's a nice guy and all, but I can't get over the age difference there even though I know it's not out of place historically. She could marry a much worse guy all things considered, but I still want her to be with Leith somehow.

I saw hints of something between Olivia and Nostradamus last episode, but I pushed it aside mostly because I didn't want that to happen. It came back this episode though, so I guess that's a thing they're doing with the show. This brings up the age difference thing again, and I just can't get over that.

Sebastian came back of course. I didn't expect him to be gone for long. I'm beyond happy that things with Sebastian and Francis got resolved. It's nice to see that.

I most certainly wasn't expected the random wedding between Sebastian and Kenna. (Another example of Mary and her friends alternating boys between themselves.) I suppose it's a good way of showing how crazy Henry is, but I'm not so sure that I like that being thrown in there. My heart definitely broke a bit at Kenna's crying. It was really hard to watch. I wonder if they'll stay married and make things work or what will happen. Looking back on it I think Kenna and Sebastian had a cute scene together in one of the very first episodes and I actually made a comment about thinking they could be cute together. I'd completely forgotten about it until now, but now I'm starting to think about that again. Maybe they'll actually end up being good together. It's possible I could end up shipping them, even though the forced wedding was still absolutely horrible.

I think the biggest question for next week is what is the crazy thing that Henry will do. I don't know how he can get even crazier than he is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment