Monday, March 10, 2014

My Feelings on Superheroes

I'm into a lot of "nerdy" things, but I often feel a little less nerdy than others because there are certain things that I'm not really into. One of those things is superheroes, whether that be superheroes in comics or movies or any other capacity. It's just not something that I've ever held a whole lot of interest in.

I'm not really sure how many superhero movies I've even watched. I know I saw all of the Spiderman movies with Tobey Maguire and my friend Ji made me watch one of the X-Men movies once (which I only really agreed to because of Jennifer Lawrence). (Oh, wait. There was also The Incredibles.) Other than that I've really only seen parts of superhero movies at different times, and I never really paid close attention. The closest thing I've gotten to superheroes otherwise would probably be Starkid's Holy Musical B@man. I still managed to get the vast majority of the jokes because you do tend to pick up on a lot of the superhero stuff when everyone else you know seems to love them, but I've still never had much interest in it myself.

I've never been entirely sure what it is about superheroes that just can't hold my interest. I guess I've never found superheroes to be that intriguing of charactes. I can see why other people think they are, and it's not that I don't see it at all. It's just that I find non-superhero characters more intriguing, and characters are one of my favorite aspects of fiction, whether it's books or movies or television. Superheroes just don't fit that to me, and that takes away some of my enjoyment.

Now, that's not to say I hate superheroes all together. The superhero movies I have seen were enjoyable to me, and I liked watching them. I just didn't like them enough to seek out more superhero movies on my own. It's one of those things where I won't complain if someone else puts it in, but I'm not going to choice to watch it either. I can get a passing enjoyment from superheroes I suppose, but I don't form enough of a connection to become a "fan" like I am for a lot of other things.

What about you guys? Do you like superheroes? Or is there something else that you don't like that much that everyone else seems to?

No comments:

Post a Comment