Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Life Post: People are Awesome and We Have New Priests

After I wrote my post yesterday, my day took an even more negative turn, and then out of nowhere it really turned up. I'm not going to go into details primarily because none of it is important enough to get into. I did go to bed feeling really happy though, and even this morning, I still feel like I'm on some sort of high from the night I had last night. It was such an insignificant thing in the long run, but I was reminded how absolutely wonderful people can be. I'm not going to lie, from all the crap going down in the news lately, I've been having one of those "the world is just screwed because everyone's horrible" moods for a good two weeks at least now. Last night was good though because someone did the most sweetest thing for me, and I remembered now why people can be so incredibly awesome. I needed that.

Anyway, since it's not even noon yet as I write this my day hasn't consisted of much. Other than writing, which I always talk about to the point of boredom (but guys, I should be done with these edits tomorrow!), the only thing that's happened so far is finding out who our new priests are. I haven't talked about this yet primarily for two reasons: 1. It's personal to someone else. 2. I haven't been home, so the entire issue was disconnected from me.

Basically, our priest was taking a "leave of absence" (at least that's as good of a term as I can come up with). My mom called to tell me about it while I was up at school, but like I said, I was away so it was only this vague information in the back of my head. I don't want to get too personal here, but he left because we was (and is) suffering from depression and needed to get help. The entire church was sad to see him go and has been praying for him to get healthier. He wrote a letter to our entire parish last week saying that he's doing well but that he has a long process to go before he's better. Because of that, he was officially resigning as our priest and taking a year long (at least) break from public ministry.

I'm telling you this all now because it leads into the fact that today we found out we're officially getting two new priests, as opposed to only one. Our parish is actually a joint parish with another church that's fifteen or so minutes away. That means a fair bit of work considering you're running two churches, but both churches are so small that I never dreamed we'd get two priests. Only large churches get two priests.

Anyway, they're both from India and have apparently only been in the United States for about a month. They've been living with the bishop since coming, but they're moving here tomorrow. My dad, for those who don't know, is a deacon (if you don't know what a Catholic deacon is here you go; I know it's different from other Christian denominations; basically they're ordained but below priests and can be married (hence my dad being one)), so he's been doing a lot more recently with there being no priest. These new priests are apparently pretty young too and, as I said, have only been in the US a month, so my dad and our other deacon will probably have to help them a lot at first as they learn how everything works and whatnot. Still, it's nice to finally have a priest/priests again since we've kind of been shuffling through different ones each weekend and a lot of people have been struggling to keep up with parish business during the week. My dad will probably be down there helping them settle in tomorrow, but I don't know when I'll be meeting them, at least by Sunday. I'm excited though, and I look forward to seeing how they settle in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment