Thursday, November 14, 2013

Book Review: Ouran High School Host Club, Volume 6 by Bisco Hatori

ISBN: 1421505843
Published: May 2nd, 2006 (originally published July 5th, 2005)
Publisher: VIZ Media
Read from November 10th to 11th, 2013
Synopsis from Goodreads:
In this sharp-witted romantic comedy about the clash of the classes (of all kinds), a poor girl at a rich kids' school ends up working at the school's toniest club-and gets mistaken for a boy!
In this high anticipated title, a kind of cross between HANA-KIMI and BOYS OVER FLOWERS, Haruhi is a scholarship student at an exclusive private school: Ouran High School, where it turns out the bespectacled, short-haired Haruhi is the only student from a lower-middle class family in attendance!
Then, to make matters worse, one day she breaks an $80,000 vase that belongs to one of the campus clubs-a mysterious outfit called the "Host Club," consisting of six superrich (and gorgeous) guys. Haruhi can't afford to pay back the cost of the vase, of course, so she's forced to work for the Host Club! And it's there that she discovers just how rich all the boys are and how different the rich are from you and me...And meanwhile, the eccentric but good-hearted rich boys are shocked to find out how life is on the other side...

Review:

I didn't realize until I was looking through Goodreads that it had been three years since I read volume five. That is just sad. Sure, I watched the anime multiple times (and the live drama at least once) in that time, but I can't believe it took me years to get around to reading the next volume. I've had up to volume ten sitting around forever, and I've been trying to get so many other things read that I just never got to them.

Ouran is one of those things that I remember I love it, but as soon as I watch or read it again, I'm reminded just how much I love it. There is just something about it that makes me love it so, so much. It's so hard to explain to other people. You just have to read or watch Ouran to get it, and this volume was just like that. Since it had been so long since I last read manga, it took me a few pages to adjust to going right to left again, but like usual, that wasn't a problem a few minutes after reading.

I really enjoyed this volume and the storyline with the school festival. I really enjoyed Tamaki's dad. I'm not entirely sure, but he seems to come across as more caring in here than he did in the anime. (I could be mistaken because it's been a while. Netflix had to take Ouran off their website in the middle of my most recent re-watching.) Either way, I enjoyed the story just as much as always.

I could go on and on about Ouran, but I feel as if most of what I would have to say is about the series in general. Two quick things I'll mention: I love how all this crazy stuff happens and Haruhi is the only one who questions the craziness. It's one of my absolute favorite things. Also, Tamaki was always my favorite character before, but recently I had been starting to like Kyoya a bit more. While reading this though, Tamaki is right back to being my favorite. I just love him so much. Kyoya is a great character though, and I really never realized just how great until recently.

Ouran is a series that I just wish I could make everyone read and enjoy (or watch in the case of the anime). I just love it so incredibly much. I'm already reading volume seven, and I'm hoping I'll be able to finish the series a lot faster than I've managed to get through it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment