Sunday, November 3, 2013

Family Weekend and the State Marching Band Competition

It's definitely been a long weekend. I got Friday off from classes and didn't do much that was exciting, but Saturday was crazy. My family came up for the day, partially because of family weekend at my school and partially because my former high school's marching band was competing for state and my sister and Jenny (the exchange student my family's hosting) were helping out by being a part of color guard (a small part).

We ate breakfast on campus at a special breakfast for family weekend before walking around my school's Ecolab for a bit. Then we went and checked out IUPUI's campus because my sister is most likely going to be going to school there next year. My sister wasn't with us, since she was on the bus with marching band, but my parents wanted to check it out anyway. It was a pretty cool campus. I can see Regina really loving it. It's entirely different than my school, but I can see how each one of us ended up at the different schools.

After eating lunch in downtown Indianapolis, we went ahead over the Lucas Oil Stadium, where state was being held, even though it was hours before their class (class D) even performed. We sat in the parking lot of a while in order to charge our phones before going in... Eventually we went inside and got to watch part of the class before them perform and get their awards.

They did an amazing job. They came in eighth place which is better than they did last year, but still ended up disappointing everyone because of everything that went into their performance this year. It was a bit of a gloomy atmosphere around everyone from our high school afterwards. We went to see Regina and Jenny at the bus (which, by the way, I'm pretty sure they were riding on the bus I rode in high school which was weird), and Regina was going on about how frustrated she was because everyone around her was in a bad mood. Jenny and the others were clearly disappointed as well, and it was really obvious that everyone was irritated with each other and what not. I have no idea how their bus ride home went, and I probably don't want to.

It was late when I got back to my dorm, and I was exhausted. I'm really thankful that I got an extra hour of sleep thanks to the clocks changing. I'm recovering today, although I have a lot of homework to do since I put it off yesterday. Hopefully I won't be quite so exhausted on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment