Friday, March 6, 2015

College Food Sucks

The fact that college students typically gain weight when they start college is a pretty ubiquitous one. It's more or less expected for a lot of people. I didn't actually experience that. In fact, I lost weight back during my freshmen year because I was eating less. It wasn't me trying to diet or anything either. I ate less because I was on a meal plan, and I'll be honest, my school's dining hall food is terrible. I couldn't stomach it. A lot of it was nearly inedible. They have this terrible habit of taking extremely bland food and just making it spicy in order to mask the lack of favor. They do it with every thing. The problem is, I can't stand spicy.

Now, I was a picky eater as a kid, but these days, I'll eat just about anything. I won't necessarily enjoy it, but I'll eat it without complaint if I have to. And I do that with the dining hall still to this day. It's just that I can only stomach small amounts of it because anymore than that, and I think I'm going to vomit.

Because of that I've lived primarily on microwaveable food ever since I started college, and while that might seem like it would lead to weight gain, I got so tired of eating the same thing over and over that I ate less and therefore lost weight. I'm not saying that's a good thing (Although I want to make it clear that I wasn't starving myself by any means. I was never in a constant state of hunger or anything. It was basically just forcing myself to eat just enough to be full, which is good, but it was terrible food.), but it's what happened a couple of years ago.

And I hated it. I wanted actual food that tasted good but that I never got. The closest thing I got was Subway, which was the only restaurant on campus. We have three more restaurants now, and I eat pizza way too much now thanks to that. Technically, I now have a kitchen that's for the whole floor, but I've seen enough people set off the fire alarm just due to the cooking that I'm too paranoid to go near it. (Seriously, the fire alarms are so sensitive, which is great for fires but not for making me confident in that kitchen.)

So, my diet's pretty terrible. I still haven't gained on weight due to my eating habits because I try to eat at least not insanely terribly. I used to hate salad, but now I love it, so I try to get them when I can. And I do other little things when I can.

Still, I want to work at making my diet better. It may be a struggle when I really only have a microwave to work with, but I'm hoping to have a car soon, which could mean actually going and buying groceries regularly (which means more produce and other things with shorter expiration dates). Hopefully that'll get me started towards eating healthier because I know I would feel a lot better if I did. I'm so tired of the diet I've had for most of the last two and a half years. It's terrible. I don't recommend it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment