Saturday, March 14, 2015

Animation Isn't Just for Kids

I love animated movies. I love Disney movies and Pixar movies and Dreamworks movies and all sorts of other animated movies. I don't claim to be an expert. I haven't watched all the animated movies out there. I'm notoriously bad when it comes to not having seen all sorts of movies that everyone else has. (They're all on my "to watch" list. I swear! Well, okay, most of them are. Some, I'll admit, I'm just not interested in.)

The idea that anything animated is meant for kids isn't quite as strong as it was in the past I think. The biggest market for animated movies (and TV shows) is still kids obviously, but I don't think adults enjoying them has quite the same stigma as in the past. I think that's an incredibly good thing.

I've always been perplexed by the idea of of only kids being able to enjoy something just because it's animated. Yes, animation has been used for certain types of movies and shows, but you can do anything with animation that you can with live action. Besides, something being "for kids" doesn't inherently mean it can't be a good movie, TV show, book, etc. for adults too. The truly good stuff holds up no matter what your age.

So I'm quite happy to say that I like watching animated movies and TV shows. Some of my absolute favorite movies and TV shows are animated, and that's not changing as I get older. Because they're quality no matter how old you are. I think the world's starting to get that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment