Saturday, March 21, 2015

Reign Review: Season 2 Episode 17: "Tempting Fate"

A lot of things happened in this episode, and I think some of my thoughts on what might possibly happen have changed a little. I'm not sure. Maybe thinking them through for this post will help me sort things out.

I'm going to start talking with the two biggest things for me which is that Bash and Francis are both in "will they or won't they" states with death right now. I was pretty shocked when Bash got stabbed so badly. I hadn't been expecting something like that.

I don't think he'll die. That woman laid hands on him obviously, and based on past evidence in the show, I think it'll work. I also think that's what's wrong with Francis. I'm pretty confident that him being hurt is the consequence of Bash being healed. So, I think Bash will heal. It's Francis that I'm having trouble deciding on.

Now, real history is the main problem for this, and it shouldn't be. Reign hasn't been all that historically accurate at all, so what actually happened to any of the historical people it portrays shouldn't really factor into it I don't think. But, none of that changes the fact that I know the real history, and now I'm wracking my brain trying to decide what they'll do with this. Will he live or will he die? Just last episode I would have said he'd definitely survive, but now I'm questioning that.

An even bigger question for me is, if Francis dies, what happens between Mary and Conde? As far as I can guess, they'd probably stay together, and we all know that I hate Conde, so I wouldn't be happy about that. Even if Francis was out of the situation (i.e. dead), I still wouldn't want Mary with Conde. I would probably want her with just about anyone but Conde. I don't know what it is about Conde that makes me dislike him so strongly, but it's there.

There was so much feminism in this episode, guys, and while it seemed a bit too blatant and on the cheesy side, I can't help but love it. Would Bash really be up for giving speeches on women's rights to random domestic abusers in the fourteenth century? I really doubt it. That type of thing would have been much to accepted as just life back then. But that didn't mean I didn't enjoy hearing him say it anyway.

Honestly, all the guys on this show have a way more progressive view on women than the vast majority of men in the time period would have actually had. Considering the show's not all that historically accurate, I'm not going to argue about something positive like that though. After all, it would be much harder to like the male characters if they all treated the female characters as inferior all of the time. And I like when Reign explores how women were treated during the time period because I think it's good about keeping that in mind even if the main character's views aren't all that reflective of the actual time period.

I love Mary's progress in the episode. That was great to see, and I loved her speech about realizing she still had the same strength she had before. That speech and Catherine's speech to Narcisse about Mary were my favorite parts of the episode. I love love love the relationships between Catherine and Mary, and I'm pretty certain that's the first time she's admitted to caring about Mary out loud (even though we all knew of course). That made me so happy. I'm just seriously so in love with their relationship.

Last week I said that I thought Kenna and Bash would for sure be okay. Now I'm wondering what's going to happen between Bash and that one healing woman. I think there's either going to be a love triangle or Kenna and Bash will both move on. However, I can't help but think that they will be happy together again at some point. There's something about all of the marriages falling apart at once that seems off to me, and if Francis and Mary are really over, I think it makes better since for Kenna and Bash to work things out. It creates more variety in the story.

The only other thing to mention is Leith and Greer. (I feel like I always stick them at the end of the reviews because their storylines always feel sort of detached from everything else. I love their storylines though. They're usually great.) They're as adorable as always. I love them so much, and Leith is just so determined that he's going to get her an annulment even though everyone else is telling him no. Leith is just such an amazing character.

I think the cardinal is going to ask Leith to tell him things that will constitute as betrayal (both politically and as a friend) of France/Francis, and I feel like that will be a huge struggle for Leith. He clearly cares so much about Greer, but he's also such a loyal person, including to Francis if not France. This has the potential to be a really interesting storyline to me considering Leith's character. Plus, I obviously love anything involving Leith and Greer. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment