Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Life Post: Getting My First Teeth Fillings

I'm about halfway through spring break, and so far the most note-worthy thing I've done so far is get three cavities filled.

It had been years since I was last on laughing gas (to get teeth pulled when my baby teeth refused to fall out), and that had been a terrible experience. I wasn't necessarily going to get it this time, but because I tend to freak out about things (ask the guy who removed my wisdom teeth), I ended up on laughing gas again for the fillings.

I remember basically nothing from the second they switched over to laughing gas from oxygen for what was apparently the next five minutes, although it felt like an hour or more to me. I suddenly couldn't remember where I was or what was going on, and then it felt like I was waking up from a dream, and I couldn't remember what was real and what wasn't. That was all before they'd even started working on my teeth. My brain wasn't all that crazy while they were doing that. I was pretty aware during it, although the sort of calmness stayed for quite a while.

I know most people enjoy laughing gas or at least don't mind it. To me it's the absolute worst. I hate that feeling that I had in the first five minutes. It's terrible. I don't like not being able to make my brain work the way it should.

The fillings were eventually done though, and then my mom and I went to my grandma's for a while (and I stayed there while my mom went shopping). It was really nice to see her, even if my mouth was pretty numb and not working properly basically the entire time.

The right side of my mouth is still sore, and I can't chew all that well on that side. Soft foods aren't that bad, but I haven't risked anything all that hard.

I'm also not used to the feel of fillings on my teeth, since these are my first, and it's driving me crazy. I know I'll adjust to it, but as of right now, it's hard to believe. I'm just glad it's over, and fingers crossed that I never have to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment