Friday, March 27, 2015

Book Review: A Student's Guide to Liberal Learning by James V. Schall

ISBN: 1882926536
Published: June 1st, 2000
Publisher: Intercollegiate Studies Institute
Read March 25th, 2015
Synopsis from Goodreads:
A Student's Guide to Liberal Learning is an inviting conversation with a learned scholar about the content of an authentic liberal arts education. It surveys ideas and books central to the tradition of humanistic education that has fundamentally shaped our country and our civilization. This accessible volume argues for an order and integration of knowledge so that meaning might be restored to the haphazard approach to study currently dominating higher education. Freshly conveying the excitement of learning from the acknowledged masters of intellectual life, this guide is also an excellent blueprint for building one's own library of books that matter.

Review:

This is a short book that is supposed to help students make the most of their liberal arts education. I honestly didn't get anything from this book. To be fair, I'm in my third year of college, so maybe it would be different if I were a freshmen. But I didn't pull anything new out of this book at all.

I also think it's important to point out that this book is written in a very religious point-of-view. I'm not saying that's either good or bad. It's just that that isn't really indicated until you're actually reading the book itself, and since that will put some people off the book, I felt like it was important to mention.

Overall, I'm just not sure I would recommend this book the anyone. There's nothing wrong with it, but I didn't gain anything from it either. And I'm not sure I know anyone who would gain something from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment