Monday, September 1, 2014

Book Review: Ouran High School Host Club, Volume 10 by Bisco Hatori

ISBN: 1421519291
Published: January 29th, 2008 (first published August 14th, 2007)
Publisher: VIZ Media
Read from August 13th to 15th, 2014
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Ever since the day he helped her up after a nasty tumble, Black Magic Club member Reiko Kanazuki has been obsessed with Hunny. She is devoting all her knowledge of the dark arts to curse him and steal his soul. Will the sweetest member of the Host Club fall victim to her spells?

Review:

I finally got around to reading volume ten! I really like where the story is going. It's exciting now in a way that it wasn't when the manga was still similar to the anime. Then, I had an idea of what was coming next, but I like that now I don't really know exactly what's coming next (although I haven't completely avoided spoilers).

The synopsis only focuses on one episode in the volume, and unfortunately, I left volume ten at home and don't have it with me at school. I'm really struggling to remember what exactly happened in each episode. I'm trying to pick it up from other people's reviews, so it's quite possible I'll forget to say something.

Focusing on Hunny's new love interest though, I've very intrigued. I'm usually not one that likes stories where every single character is in a relationship at the end, which seems to be more or less where Ouran is going. However, I do like the beginnings of what's happening here, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in future volumes.

I really liked Mei after awhile, but it did take some time for her to grow on me. I really like how she calls both Tamaki and Haruhi stupid for not realizing their feelings, but neither one of them actually get what she's talking about. She actually kind of became a voice of reason, which I wasn't expecting when she first appeared. I think she appears again in the future as well, so I'm looking forward to that.

Also, I really love Hikaru and Kaoru's dad. It was nice to see them, and I liked the little bit about how much attention he pays to the boys considering their mom can't even tell them apart.

The little rivalry going on between Kyoya and Tamaki seems fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out in the next volume. Kyoya's grown on me as a character since I became an Ouran fan after watching the anime, so I always enjoy seeing him get some development. I particularly love anything about his and Tamaki's friendship, so I'm excited for the rest of that storyline.

Now that I'm thinking back on it, a lot seemed to happen in this volume. I'm really liking the direction the story is going in, and I look forward to reading volume eleven whenever I manage to get a hold of it, which might be a while in all honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment