Wednesday, September 10, 2014

On David Yates Directing Fantastic Beasts

David Yates is going to direct the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie. From what I gather, it's not completely official yet, but everyone seems to accept that it's going to happen. That was news almost three weeks ago, so I realize that I'm insanely late talking about it. I'm behind on everything I want to blog and/or make videos on though, so bear with me and let me talk about it.

This is definitely a post where writing it earlier would have been a good thing because my excitement was fresher. Now I've had more time to let my feelings stew, and their not bubbling over quite as much as they were before. Don't get me wrong, I'm still ecstatic that he's directing. It's just that I've gotten used to it now.

I've seen a good deal of people upset, and I can definitely get most of their reasons. I don't think every single person would have been happy with any one director. Everyone has preferences in directors because they like different styles, and David Yates brings that out even more because not only do we have other movies to go off of for his style but we have other Harry Potter movies. Which Harry Potter movies are good and which are bad can be a pretty divisive argument. For my part, I loved the sixth through eighth movies. The fifth (i.e. the first of the four that David Yates directed) wasn't my favorite, but I didn't absolutely hate it either.

To be fair, I haven't seen anything that David Yates has directed other than the Harry Potter movies. I'm not sure how relevant that is though considering this is going to be a film within the Harry Potter universe. That makes me think that using those four movies as a basis for how Fantastic Beasts will turn out is relatively accurate. They'll definitely be different movies just based off of the fact that there will be different characters in a different time period and not during a war (that we know of), but I imagine that their will be some sort of similar feel between the later Harry Potter movies and this one if David Yates directs. I'm all for that because I think it's good to have subtle tie-ins with the original Harry Potter films like that.

Fantastic Beasts should stand on its own as a film (or films) in my opinion, but I also still want it to feel like a Harry Potter universe film, which means letting it have similarities with Harry Potter in some ways, and I think that using the same director is a good way to do that. Maybe it won't end up happening, and there'll be a different director. I won't be heartbroken if that happens. If David Yates directs though, I think I'd approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment