Sunday, May 5, 2013

Top Ten Childhood Favorites

I got this from Top Ten Tuesday, which was a weekly meme started by The Broke and the Bookish.  I know it's not Tuesday, but I've decided that I'm going to start going through their past lists and posting my own responses.  This is the first one, and I'll just keep going.  I don't know how often I'll post one, and it'll probably be rare that they're actually on a Tuesday.  I also will probably post some of these as Youtube videos in the future.  You should definitely check the meme out though because I love reading these posts on the blogs I follow.

This one is on childhood favorites.

1.  The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  Obvious number one, isn't it?  My blog, Twitter, Youtube, and almost every other account I have on the Internet gives this away.  I was about eight when I got into Harry Potter.  I've loved reading for as long as I can remember, but Harry Potter was the largest books I'd read up until that point.  In fact, I remember them describing them to my dad as thick and boring when he first asked if I wanted to read them.  It wasn't until my grandparents took me to the first movie that I fell in love and had to read the books.  Now they've taken over my entire life.

2. The Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  I also read these when I was pretty young, although I'm not really sure what age exactly.  I think it was slightly before Harry Potter.  One of my friends was reading them, so I decided to as well.  I got about half-way through the first book before letting it sit and having to return it to the library before I was finished.  When I was in third or fourth grade (I think).  I found the first book at a book fair my school had and bought it.  I read it much quicker that time, and the long process of only being allowed to buy two of them every time we went to the bookstore started.  I'm pretty sure these books are the entire reason I'm obsessed with this time period.

3. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.  When I was in fourth grade, our teacher went through the classroom books to show us the various things we could read.  She pulled this one out and told us it was one of her favorites.  I think a good deal of the class read it.  I remember that my two best friends read it first, and it caused both of them to cry.  That of course meant that I had to read it.  I fell so in love with it, and when we were in eighth grade and the movie came out, I went to go see it with one of those best friends.  We were so excited about it because we'd loved the book so much.

4. The Boxcar Children series by Gertrude Chandler Warner.  This was without a doubt the series I always got from the public and school libraries growing up.  I'd read all of Harry Potter and Little House, so these were my go to books when we had to check out books for school and things.  I'm not sure how many of these I read, but they had to account for at least half of my school library checkouts during elementary school.

5. All of the American Girl books by various authors.  I was obsessed with all things American Girl as a kid. I'm not just talking about the doll books.  I read everything.  Although I'm sure the books that came with the dolls contributed to my love for history.  My sister, friend, and I used to check out stacks of the doll books from the library and read them together.  We had to have spent at least three summers doing that on a regular basis.  I'm pretty sure I read all of the books for the dolls that were out at that point.

6. The Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park.  Are you catching on to the theme of series in this list?  I guess I clung to the familiar as a child.  I didn't read nearly as many of these as a kid, but I remember really loving the ones I did.

7. Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater.  I have very vivid memories of checking this book out from the school library.  I thought the entire idea of it was amazing and was so intrigued by the entire thing.  I can hardly even remember it now other than the fact that I absolutely loved it.

8.  Various Dr. Seuss books.  I don't think this even needs an explanation.

9. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barret.  This is the only picture book other than Dr. Seuss that I can remember well enough to add to this list.  I remember being fascinated by the idea, and I used to daydream about it really raining food.

That's all I'm coming up with at the moment.  I'm sure there are more.  I had so many books as a kid, and I'm sure there are picture books that I can't remember at all.  I'll probably think of some amazing book that I completely forgot about later.  Part of the problem is that I don't know what age to cut off at.  I've kept it to elementary school.  I fell in love with The Giver by Lois Lowry when I was in sixth grade, for instance, but I decided that was too old for this list.  I had to cut it off somewhere, and I fell in love with a lot of books in middle school...  We'd be here forever if I included all of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment